>> Research Director & Data Journalist | 2015 – present
Dig deep into business data to find, report and investigate compelling local news, as well as analyze data to make action-driving recommendations about editorial content and report data stories. Collaborate with reporters to bring issues into context with local, statewide and national data analysis, and work closely with the editor-in-chief and creative director to develop strategic print and online data presentations. Manage multiple, concurrent projects independently, and identify projects for freelancers and reporters. Survey companies to build and maintain proprietary databases and data stories, establish sources and partnerships with private companies for data reporting projects, assist in writing speeches and marketing materials for the newsroom, and volunteer to contribute on other projects and tasks as needed.
– Puget Sound Business Journal, Seattle
>> Staff Writer | 2008 – 2015
Produce an average of five daily articles and Sunday enterprise reports each week for daily print newspapers and online publications. Use Microsoft Excel and database managers to analyze data and state and federal public information laws to obtain records. Edit and proofread according to AP Style, meet deadlines, develop strong organizational and prioritization skills, collaborate with other reporters, shoot and produce videos with Final Cut Pro, build sources. Manage multiple, concurrent projects.
– Victoria Advocate, Victoria, TX | 2012 – 2015
– Discover Victoria Magazine, Victoria, TX | 2012 – 2015
– Get Out, Video News for Victoria Advocate | 2012 – 2014
– Tyler Morning Telegraph, Tyler, TX | 2010 – 2011
– North Texas Daily, Denton, TX | 2008 – 2009
>> Freelance Copywriter | 2011 – Present
Write and produce news and advertising content for daily print and online publications, meet tight deadlines, copy edit content using AP Style and develop strong lines of communications with editors.
– The Seattle Globalist, Seattle
– The Herald Business Journal, Everett, WA
– Everett Daily Herald, Everett, WA
– Kitsap Sun, Bremerton, WA
– Sno-Isle Libraries, Marysville, WA
– University of Houston-Victoria, Victoria, TX
– Dallas Observer, Dallas, TX
>> Writing Intern | 2006 – 2009
Wrote, produced and edited advertising and news content for online and print newspapers. Event planning, organization and developed marketing strategies.
– Dallas Observer, Dallas, TX | 2009
– Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX | 2009
– NX35 Music & Arts Conferette, Denton, TX | 2008 – 2009
– UNT Office of Sustainability Denton, TX | 2009 – 2010
– Longview News-Journal, Longview, TX | 2009
– Rogers Publishing, Denton, TX | 2006 – 2008
Awards & Recognition
– 2016 Texas Associated Press Managing Editors Contest: First place team effort
– 2015 Texas Associated Press Managing Editors Contest: Third place star investigative report of the year, third place community service
– 2015 Local Media Association Editorial Contest: Third place team investigative reporting
– 2015 Investigative Reporters and Editors fellowship: Database analysis workshop at University of Missouri
– 2014 Texas Associated Press Managing Editors: First place star breaking news report of the year, first place star online package of the year, first place community service, first place deadline writing, third place team effort, honorable mention freedom of information and honorable mention for star investigative report of the year
– 2014 Local Media Association Editorial Contest: First place best breaking news story
– 2013 Texas Associated Press Managing Editors: Star online package, breaking news, team effort and deadline reporting
Bachelor of Arts, News & Editorial Writing
Mayborn School of Journalism
University of North Texas | Denton, Texas
Chile, South America, 2007
Semester abroad studying nature writing, conservation and eco-tourism.